Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Washi Tape Christmas Tree

I shared this how-to on the Scraptastic blog yesterday, so I thought I'd share it here as well. It's a great way to use all those pretty tapes that you have piling up around you!

It all started when I was placing two more rolls of tape on my washi tape holder. Horror of horrors, I couldn't fit but one or two more! Yikes! So, to put a dent in my stash of pretty tapes while creating a fun page to showcase a photo of our Christmas tree (yet to be printed), I fashioned this bright and vibrant Christmas tree of washi tape "flaps":




How-To:
On a separate sheet of (white) cardstock, use a pencil and ruler to draw a horizontal line the desired width of your tree. Then cut a strip of washi tape approximately 3 inches long. Fold the tape over on itself leaving 1 inch of tape free. Use this free section of tape to attach the washi flap, aligning the folded edge with the line on the cardstock. Continue with various tapes, leaving only the slightest gap between each one. Begin the next row of tapes in the middle of the end tape of the previous row as shown. Use a ruler to ensure that tapes run level across each row. Each row will have one fewer flap than the one below it. Continue adding tapes until you are left with a single flap at the top. Your tree should end up in a somewhat triangular shape. Using a ruler, cut out your tree into a more refined triangle so that little or no cardstock shows along the edges. Adhere the washi tree to misted cardstock and complete the page.

Note: The longer the flaps, the taller the tree! Flaps that are too short will result in a stumpy tree. Yes, this was learned through trial and error. ;)

Now I'm on the lookout for more ways that I can use these tapes! They are too pretty to just sit and "be pretty"! It's time for me to brainstorm, and get them into my scrapbooks.

Supplies: Chipboard: (Maggie Holmes Open Book 12 x 12 Chipboard Stickers), Die-Cuts: (Pink Paislee Merry & Bright Ephemera) Washi Tape: (Bella Blvd. Designer Tape Navy Dot), (Freckled Fawn Large Gold Polka Dot), (Echo Park Creative Agenda Decorative Tape Dots), and various tapes from my stash.

1 comment:

Kimberly Kett said...

This is so creative and so cool! I need to pin it :)