Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bermuda Longtails

See, I found another spot to use those little wooden birds! It wasn't much of a stretch to find a place for one on this page. It's about birds actually.

On our walk about the town of Hamilton, Bermuda, we stumbled into a beautiful park, Par-la-Ville Park, since renamed Queen Elizabeth Park, and happened upon a statue depicting a flock of these longtails. Another day, we spotted several flying alongside the boat that was taking us to a cycling activity. The really cool thing about the second picture on the page is that it not only shows the birds in flight, but their nesting site on shore as well. The white "igloos" that you see are artificial nests cemented into the rock, where the natural holes and crevices that would normally hold their nests have been lost to erosion. The birds make do quite well with these substitute nests and their numbers are increasing. Although the Bermuda longtail isn't the national bird of Bermuda, it is often associated with the island.




I set out to use  Sketch #92 from my friend Susan Stringfellow's Sketch Savvy Blog and it gave me a great start to my page. It's such a lovely design, one which I plan to use again.



Did you notice the trio of bird embellishments on this page: the wood veneer bird from Studio Calico, the "Fly Away" snippet from BasicGrey's clipping collection, and bird stickers from American Craft's Dear Lizzy sticker book? I love when I can employ embellishments that help to tell the story!

(Patterned papers are a mix of October Afternoon's 9 to 5, Crate Paper's Story Teller, and BasicGrey.)

13 comments:

Penny said...

Perfect accents for a perfect page! Beautiful! Love Penny

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

The bird accents are perfect! Such a pretty page!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

the paper is so pretty! love the birds! super page

Jingle said...

Fantastic layout!

scrappymo! said...

Great layout...I love your style...I have bookmarked your friends sketch site.

scrappymo! said...

Forgot to mention that I am your latest follower!

Elisa K said...

Love your layout and your mix of different papers. Thanks for sharing.

Christina said...

Very pretty. Those thickers are some of my favorites. :)
Love all of the extra little bird details!

Laura said...

Your papers and embellies work so well with the photos. Great layout

Lisa said...

FANTASTIC layout! Hope you are doing well! -Lisa P.S. Not sure you remember me. I was on the design team at Serendipity Scrapbooks. We met there. I haven't been able to visit my favorite blogs in quite sometime. Thought it best to re-introduce myself. Would hate to have you thinking you had some random blog stalker commenting. LOL!

Susan Stringfellow said...

oh I just love this one! Love the cool bird photos but the colors of the papers and things you chose are just gorgeous.

Mary Jo said...

This is so pretty with amazing layering! :)

Pamela said...

Very cool page! I love it! :)