Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Process

I love to hear about various scrapbookers' creativity process. It's intriguing. Some scrapbookers actually take you through their page development step by step. It's fun to see the progression from blank page to finished product. However, once I get rolling on a layout, I don't think to stop and take pics! But I did think to take a photo before I began this time.

Step One:



This is how I get started. I usually choose my photo first, but, in this case, I chose the Dear Lizzy collection (which arrived in a recent order) and found a photo that worked with it. I cut out some bingo cards from another paper line, added a couple of papers that coordinated with Dear Lizzy, then gathered letter stickers, borders strips, buttons, ric-rac, trim and more, laying it all out in front of me. Of course, not everything makes it onto the finished page.

Next, I shuffle the papers around to determine which look best abutting my photo, near my photo, further from my photo, or as a background and began to formulate a layering plan. Sometimes I'll dig around and find additional papers that coordinate.

Finally, I make that first cut, and then there's no stopping. I'm committed. I cut and layer, layer and cut, and set up the entire page on my desk, title and all, without adhering a thing. Before I get out the adhesive, I need to see how it all will come together! Sometimes I'll even have to take a picture so that I can remember how to reassemble all the layers as I work on adhering them to the page. Crazy, most certainly, but it works for me.

What's your process like?

14 comments:

Mary Pat Siehl said...

looks great

Linda said...

I like seeing those posts too. But like you, I forget to stop and take photos. I start with the picture, then pick the papers. Embellishments come last. And there is a lot of shuffling of stuff in between. Sometimes, I may have paper or an embellishment that I want to use and I'll build the layout from there.

Anonymous said...

My process = no plan! LOL! I am like you and love looking at hour others work...thanks for sharing :)

Tanya Ham said...

GREAT post! :) I also love seeing the different approaches people take. I sometimes talk about how I choose a paper or what led me to a particular color scheme or something, but I also get to working and don't take "in process" pics ... Awesome!

Unknown said...

That's how I wish my process was!! LOL. I have grown so accustom to making layouts and then adding pictures that's all I can seem to do now. If I have pictures with me I have the hardest time making somthing cute with it! So now I make my pages and add the pictures as I see fit-- It works for me ;)

Busygirl said...

I used to take a photo of the arranged layout before I glue them down too. But ever since watching Shimelle's videos, I'm starting to use her gluing method which allows me to glue layers while they're all on the page. I still need to move a thing or two here and there, but most of them stay on!

Pam W. said...

My process is similar to yours - can't wait to see the completed layout!!

I also love the picture...too cute!

Norma Gomez said...

my process is very similar too, I always take pics because I can tell if the layout is balanced better that way.

Sue Althouse said...

Love the new Dear Lizzy! I also will take a picture while scrapping to see which paper looks best. I always like to read and see how others scrap!

Margie Higuchi said...

My plan is start with the photo...most of the time. Lately I've been starting with paper and match the photo??? Guess I'm still a paper addict - LOL!

I take a picture and it gives me a different prospective of the project...it's funny how different it looks through a lens.

Great question!

Madeline said...

Thanks for sharing your processes with me too. I'm trying to vary mine to be a bit more fluid. ;)

Becky said...

What a cool post! When I get a fun new line I do the same. Sometimes I'll even take pictures if I don't have some that'll go! Crazy, I know. :)

Katherine said...

Mine is similar to yours...starts with a photos or the papers, then mix them....then the cut :)

Petunia said...

That photo of K is TOO CUTE!!!